Wednesday, May 13, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

I went into this new X-Men installment with pretty low expectations, but two things spurred me to move forward. 1) To be loyal to the nerdiness I possessed as a kid when I faithfully read the series and watched the cartoon. 2) It was the official start of the summer blockbuster season. I left the third film, X-Men: The Last Stand, disappointed, so I wasn’t sure what to expect with this one. I exited Wolverine with just a so-so feeling… so is it wrong that I was glad about this? Everything about this movie just had the “OK” stamp on it. There wasn’t much sloppiness to the direction or the acting; it was just bland all around. The problem is that this movie plays out in full that was shown as flashbacks in the previous installments. It turns out those flashbacks were more than sufficient because what you get here are actions scenes, characters and dialogue with no meat that ultimately lead you to an ending with no mystery. Hugh Jackman does great with what he is given although he’s stripped of any humor or likeability found in the other portrayals of his character. Also, I liked some of the supporting characters, but they are never given enough time to develop, so they are merely there just to get us from point A to point B. This movie was neither great nor awful, but with a slew of other big releases on its heels, this one will be as quickly forgotten as Logan’s memory. I give Wolverine 2.5 out of 5 Canadian soldiers fighting in American wars.

No comments: