Wednesday, May 20, 2009

AFI'S 100 Years... 100 Movies

In the summer of 2007, The American Film Institute updated their list of the 100 Greatest American Movies, which was originally released in the summer of 1997.  I'm going to embark on a journey where I watch #100 all the way #1!

“Why do this?” you may ask. Well, when I looked at the updated list, I was kind of surprised to discover that I’ve seen 67 out of the 100 movies throughout my lifetime. That’s really not too bad, but as I examined the list more thoroughly, I found myself blushing as I could not cross off some of the movies. I have seen 9 out of the top 10, but can I really call myself a movie fan if I haven’t seen On The Waterfront, The Sound of Music, or even The Gold Rush?

Even if I have seen the film, it will be good to revisit it because many on the list I saw as a kid (Hitchcock’s Vertigo & North By Northwest) and I can’t remember those all that well. I’m not sure when I’ll get through all of them, but hopefully it’ll make me appreciate film more even though we are constantly bombarded by the summer blockbusters.

Thanks for reading along with this and I hope that if you have the time, you can follow along as well and truly discover the classics of cinema!

To see the AFI's list, CLICK HERE.

No comments: