Monday, June 1, 2009

#99: Toy Story (1995)

I’ve seen Toy Story many, many times before, but even seeing it once again, I felt like a giddy youngster as I was thrust into this world of talking toys. Many animated movies boast that they can make you feel like a kid again, but this movie truly can back that statement up. You used to be so connected to your toys. They had their own personalities and you could’ve sworn they had a life of their own when you couldn’t find them, even though your mom would say that you, “Must’ve just misplaced it.”

Toy Story follows the group of toys that make up Andy’s room. Woody (voiced by Tom Hanks) is the leader of the pack and Andy’s favorite toy. His spot on the throne of plastic majesty is threatened when a new modern toy, Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) comes to town. As tempers flare between the two, Woody and Buzz find themselves lost in the real world and forced to work together to return home to their beloved owner.

I can’t believe it has already been over ten years since Toy Story has come out and it still holds up today. The CG animation is still breathtaking and if released today, I think it still looks crisper than some of the Dreamworks movies that have come out recently. John Lasseter really did a great job directing this film. The angles and lights bring a cinematic feel to the movie, but he still keeps the innocent mood the movie requires. One thing I’ve always liked about Pixar is that they truly find the right actor to voice a character and not just who is “hot” at the time. Woody, Buzz, and all the side characters are fully developed and I’m sure people connect with different ones. This movie is just plain fun and finds that perfect balance for both kids and adults to partake in. It’s funny, suspenseful and surprisingly emotional. This is one of those films that I can’t wait to show to my future children, not just so I can enjoy it with them, but to see them transported into this world that always lurks in the back of every kid’s mind.

I give Toy Story 5 out of 5 Randy Newman songs.

No comments: