Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ghost (1990)

Yes, it’s true… this was my first time to see this film. Whitney has always given me a hard time about not seeing it, and I can see why, sorta… This film is a supernatural romance that follows Sam Wheat (Patrick Swayze) who is trying to avenge his murder and reconnect to his lover (Demi Moore) as a ghost… hence the title. With the help of a con-artist/psychic (Whoopi Goldberg), he pushes the boundaries of his paranormal state to tend to some unfinished business.

Honestly, the first half of the movie really didn’t hold my interest at all. You have to keep in mind that the effects were a pretty big deal at the time, but still the film feels very dated. The cheesy dialogue and Swayze’s overacting did not help, but halfway through there was a switch the flipped for me. The same characteristics were there that bugged me, but I had no idea where things were headed, which kept me invested and entertained. It’s a little surprising to me that Whoppi won Best Supporting Actress because she’s really just a much-needed comic presence in a very melodramatic film, but her acting does save it. Along with Moore, they both take their roles seriously, and you particularly miss Whoppi’s character when she’s away from the screen.

If you can dive into the suspension of disbelief, you’ll love the mixture of mystery, comedy, drama and romance. There were just too many elements that drew me out, but at the end I came out smiling, which means that I give Ghost 3 out of 5 pottery wheels.

No comments: