Monday, June 8, 2009

#98: Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

Oscar winner:
Best Actor in a Leading Role (James Cagney), Best Music, Scoring of a Musical, Best Sound, Recording


“My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you...”

I would probably have never seen this movie if it wasn’t for that quote. I always wondered what the context was to make that quote so memorable in film history. Besides that, I’ve been hesitant to watch the film because it never really looked like a true musical (which ended up to be kinda true) and the title alone kinda turns you off because, well, you can’t help but get that annoying song stuck in your head. See, you are humming it in your head right now! You can thank me later...

This bio pic/musical is about the life of George M. Cohan (Cagney) who went from a vaudeville family lifestyle to one of the most famous composers, singers, and dancers to hit not just Broadway, but America.

And yeah...that’s about it. There’s not much to this film, but in a way, that is what makes it stand out. The movie released soon after Pearl Harbor, and boy does it make a connect to the Uncle Sam posters you’ve seen in your history books. This film more or less pukes American propaganda. I had no idea that George Cohan was responsible for such songs as Yankee Doodle Dandy, Give My Regards To Broadway, and the WWI anthem, Over There. Although it’s pretty heavy-handed on American sentiment, it was neat to see a reflection of a time where people would do anything for their country and even thinking of protesting a war was out of the question.

Some of the musical numbers are forgettable because they don’t really support the story, but the whole movie is saved by the acting force of James Cagney. I’ve sadly never seen his films, but like most people, I’ve always connected him with gangster films of the 30’s. Although he isn’t the biggest dancing presence ever seen in film, he brings so much joy and energy to the film, Yankee Doodle Dandy is worth watching solely for his performance. The narrative thread got boring at times, but the film has some really sweet moments and its innocence allows your mind to relax and just enjoy the ride. Yankee Doodle Dandy is a tricky one to pin down: Older generations will love it, while younger ones will be left bored. But it allows you to feel the spirit that was running amongst the U.S.A. during WWII, and no matter what age you are, you can’t help but be moved by that.

I give Yankee Doodle Dandy 3.5 out of 5 catchy tunes.

No comments: