Tuesday, July 14, 2009

#95: The Last Picture Show (1971)

Oscar Winner:
Best Actor In A Supporting Role (Ben Johnson), Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Cloris Leachman)

This was my second time to watch this movie and I honestly wasn’t looking forward to it. My first viewing occurred during the first summer back from college and I was beginning to gain a strong interest in film. I saw this on the library shelf and thought I should give it a try with all the acclamations that shouted from the cover. What I know now was that I was lost on the independent nature of this film. I was used to the “classics” being just that, and I think I was shocked by its revolutionary style in cinema that began in the 70’s. I’m thankful for this marathon in that it’s made me take a look again at films like these because I’m glad that the second time around I saw the brilliance of this film.

The Last Picture Show focuses on a tiny Texas town and follows two best friends, Sonny and Duane (Timothy Bottoms and Jeff Bridges) as they try to find themselves in that awkward period between boyhood and adulthood. Shot in B&W, director Peter Bogdanovich flips the wholesome image of small-town America in the 50’s upside-down as you are shocked by the turmoil that exists between all the townspeople. This could be labeled an “independent film” but the term didn’t even really exist at the time.

It’s a film about real people with real problems, and how people have always relied on tangible things to fill their lives. Bogdanovich particularly focuses on sex in a frank and candid manner that shocks you not in an erotic manner, but that of horror as people constantly use it for self-gratification rather than love. The film uses the tight knit community to show that everybody has a secret and it helps you realize that not everything is pretty on the outside.

The film won 2 Oscars out of its 8 nominations, which is very commendable for a piece that is not flashy and that develops in a patient manner. The black and white cinematography is beautiful, but gets upstaged by the amazing ensemble of actors that include Cybill Shepherd, Ben Johnson, Cloris Leachman (Yes, she can be serious!), and Ellen Burstyn. I think any aspiring actor or director needs to watch this to see the importance of range and character development.

I was blown away by the depth and the heart-breaking issues this film tackled. You can see how revolutionary it must have been for the time, but most importantly, it holds up to any art-house piece that is out there today.

I give The Last Picture Show 5 out of 5 pool parties.

No comments: