Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Survivor: Tocantins - Week 9

I knew it! I knew J.T. and Stephen wouldn't be as loyal to Tyson and Coach! Now, I didn't know that it would be this early on, but I feel like I sorta called it, right? :) The episode began with Sierra's reaction, which in honesty drove me up the wall! I'm sorry, but I felt no pity for her. I hate it when people try to save themselves by trying to make others feel sorry for them. Why don't you instead try to approach people with, "Hey, I screwed up, my strategy didn't work. Let's see what we can do to get YOU further in the game." You being the key word there, because as soon as you start saying, "Save me!" people are going to shut you off. Just like Tyson did... my goodness, what did you think about that little confrontation? I thought Tyson was telling her what she needed to hear, but that was rough. He was basically talking down to somebody else who was about the same age. It was a little funny, but almost a little too brutal.

We had the classic "visit the natives" reward challenge which is never too interesting. It always seems that somebody ends up throwing up, whether it is drinking too much, or in this case, eating too much. And poor Stephen had to spend another three days by himself on exile island. I think you forget how rough it is out there, especially by yourself. At least last year on Gabon they had a hut and hammock they could enjoy.

The immunity challenge was interesting and a good one. Of course the rain and cold added so much more to it all, especially with the option to chow down on some pizza under a covered tarp. I totally didn't blame Stephen for going, being on Exile, but I was a little surprised that J.T. went. Not surprised at all by Coach's decision and if I were Tyson, I would have been mad too. I've always said that if it were me, I didn't care what position I was in, I would play the challenge. I know that's easier said because I've never been starving like that before, but it just throws too much limelight on you.

Sierra ALMOST won it, but Debra had a perfect shot that shattered her hopes, for the time being. I had the chance to play shuffle board this past weekend, and I admire Debra's more than clutch shot. Which led to a great post strategy session amongst everybody. Erinn created an ingenious idea to get Tyson off. If you are her, you are getting a power player out of the way who happens to not like you and you are strengthening position to go with J.T. and Stephen. Now, you have to give J.T. and Stephen the huge credit for implementing the change. I think that no doubt Tyson and Coach would've stuck with them, but they were smart enough to realize they had a better chance of winning not having to strategize or compete with them at the end.

Once again the overconfidence bug hit, and Tyson, Coach and Debra were stunned. I thought it was brilliant to not include Sierra in the plan, because who knows how she would have acted around Tyson and Coach before tribal council. I honestly didn't think Tyson was gone, but I'm glad that the overall editing of the show surprised us as much as Tyson was surprised.

Now I'm sure the next episode, if it the past ones haven't already, will be the Coach show. I bet we are going to hear the tirade of honesty and integrity being broken, and how the spirits of the land will not be so kind to Stephen and J.T. who have for certain now lost their warrior status. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Sierra will have a huge decision to make to be on the bottom rung of one alliance (Coach, Debra, Erinn) or the other (J.T., Stephen, or Taj). I don't know where Erinn plays in all of that, but she's put herself in a very interesting position to float to either side that probably won't provide too much backlash against her.

So... Were you shocked that Tyson was eliminated? Were you as annoyed as I was by Sierra's attitude? How mad will Coach be, REALLY? And who do you think has the best chance of winning right now (I think J.T.)?

Practicing my shuffle board skills,

Nathan

No comments: